Friday, June 11, 2004

Ray Charles (1930-2004)

Ray Charles died yesterday morning (6/10/2004), and I couldn't help but keep thinking about him throughout the day. You see, he was one of the celebrities that stuck in my head as being someone whom I would've liked more had it not been for some insight into his personality through reading articles and another musician's opinion.

In my college days at the School of Music quite a ways back, I'd often talked with fellow music students about other celebrity musicians. It seemed like a natural topic to always touch on since our future careers would likely have some connection to our instruments. Ray Charles was one of the topics.

I remember sitting at the student lounge with two friends, one of whom had played a little with Ray Charles on one of his tours. He commented on how much of a dick he was to the band members and how he treated and talked so much trash of women. Of all the stories on how Ray was a dick I honestly can't recall (I think I remember one having to do with a plane flight). But I do remember strongly feeling very disappointed in Mr. Charles's personality since I had equated it with his talent. I certainly shouldn't have made such an assumption, although I do think many people do the same with celebrities. But since that day, I've always been reminded of that feeling whenever I see or hear him mentioned.

For reference, here's a link to a summary of Ray Charles's life, which also mentions him as being a legendary womanizer.

I never tried to expose myself to any of Ray Charles's music ever since that lounge conversation. But perhaps I should put his personality aside and give his talent a try, as I should with all people, yes? After all, it was just someone's opinion, right?

May Mr. Charles rest in peace. And may his family and friends find comfort swiftly in each other.

No comments: