Friday, September 22, 2006

Our 2006 MS Bike Tour

September 16th & 17th: 150 miles in two days.

It's the 2006 NJ "City-To-Shore" MS Bike Tour that three of my friends and I just did. Actually, they did the round trip 150; I only rode Saturday's 75 miles and took a long bus ride back to my car, which is how I signed up to do the Tour. Just can't stand to leave Melinda and the kids for too long, y'know. :-)

My lesson learned: sleep, sleep, sleep and drink, drink, drink. I barely slept 1.5 hours the night before due to a lot of irresponsible last minute preparation; and then on the ride, didn't grab any of my water bottles until the first rest stop. (Good lordie, why the halibut was I not thinking!?) So as you probably guessed, the inevitable occurred: severe fatigue and cramp city in both my calves. Ouch.

But yeah, I made it through thanks to my pals and the miracle of drafting. But I certainly was mad at myself the whole ride home as well as the next day for having such inept hindsight.

Our next tour is October 1st: The Pumpkin Patch Pedal @ 100 miles. So last night, I did an exact two hours on my trainer: hill intervals. A lot of huffing and puffing. It was my penance.

Ride on.

No comments: