Saturday, January 13, 2007

No more delays!

There's a newly published paper on procrastination titled The Nature of Procrastination: A Meta-Analytic and Theoretical Review of Quintessential Self-Regulatory Failure. I couldn't find the entire paper online, only news articles and this summary quote from the author Dr. Piers Steel:

"Essentially, procrastinators have less confidence in themselves, less expectancy that they can actually complete a task... Perfectionism is not the culprit. In fact, perfectionists actually procrastinate less, but they worry about it more."

Hmmm, confidence is key. Confidence, confidence, confidence. Thank you, Dr. Steel, for proving that scientifically, especially with your equation: Utility = E x V / ΓD. I do believe you've made me that much more self-assured in completing my New Year's resolves.

Now to get back to business at my hand.

:-)

2 comments:

rickumali said...

One of my theories on procrastination is expressed over at scraps of crap. In there, the author David Malkin writes about the "tyranny of the blank paper", and how artists fail to start because they want to create perfection, especially with a blank sheet of paper. Something to think on, I guess. Peace!

getwell said...

Thanks for the scrapsofcrap link, Rick. The crumpled sheets of paper analogy drove the point well with me. In hindsight, my stutterings on projects were due to either perfectionism or lack of confidence. With the former, the projects were delayed but eventually completed; with the latter, the projects were usually never realized.