Monday, January 09, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

I just started reading Close Range: Wyoming Stories by Annie Proulx. It's a series of short stories, the last one being Brokeback Mountain from which its corresponding movie has been adapted. I'm trying to read through it as quickly as possible before I hear any spoilers from reviewers and other moviegoers, although I think the damage has already been done. (Hey, did I just use 'me', 'reading' and 'quickly' all in one sentence? How incredible is that?! :-o)

I'm only through the first few pages, but I must say that Proulx's poetic but run-on sentence writing style is already causing me to do some double takes. It made me think that perhaps I need to be a bit more well-read or that I simply need to read more books period to sharpen my comprehension. Well then, I guess I'll just have to add that to one of my many goals of 2006.

2 comments:

rickumali said...

I continue to enjoy reading your BLOG!

When I heard "Brokeback Mountain" was based on an Annie Proulx story, I was very pleased. I have read a handful of her books, and she has very distinct style. It's been a while since I've read anything by her, but I recommend "The Shipping News" (also a movie), and "Postcards".

getwell said...

Thanks! I've read many readers concur on Proulx's style as 'poetic', which sounded attractive and made me curious enough to check out her stories. I hope to watch "Brokeback" after I'm done with "Close Range". Also, thanks for recommending "The Shipping News" and "Postcards".