Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Reading is fundamental

I had a Sylvan moment this evening. You know, those TV commercials showing a parent suddenly and deeply moved by a quantum leap in her child's academic progress. Well, my turn came today.

Just before bedtime, I heard Tina talking and laughing in her room. I thought she was just chatting with her younger siblings and needed to be told to shush down a little. So I quietly walked to the doorway, peaked in and saw her standing alone next to the bed, her back to me, with her 'Dolphins' book propped up on the sheets. And there she was, reading to herself:

"One dolphin liked to yank
the tail feathers of a pelican.
The pelican didn't think
it was funny.
But the dolphin did!"

The stuff made her giggle. That's what got me--the giggles. She was understanding what she was reading and it made her laugh. And yup, it was then that I made that proud moment smirk and got teary eyed. Followed by hugs and kisses and "I'm very proud of you" and all that.

And then came that Sylvan commercial ending song and fade to black.

No comments: