Thursday, March 16, 2006

The last run

The gods of snowboarding must've had me in their favor this morning. They'd blessed me with two gifts today: 1) a final trip to the slopes for the season and 2) mastery of the final stage in learning how to snowboard: Step 10 - Linked Turns.

Sweet.

After all the warm weather days this past week, I didn't think there'd be much snow left on the hills. But when I got to Mountain Creek this morning, the white stuff was still plenty enough to keep a small number of trails open, albeit with a few bare spots of ground showing here and there.

I managed three runs down the 'green' trails from the top of Vernon Peak before calling it quits by noon. And it was on the 2nd run that my 'eureka' moment arrived. That is, I finally got the hang of linking my toeside and heelside turns to create that slalom S shape path as I traversed down the course. It was a quantum leap from constantly falling to suddenly carving the mountain with control. After all the determination, it just clicked in me. A really beautiful feeling.

Winter is truly wonderful. How silly of me for ever considering moving to warmer weather.

No comments: