Sunday, August 27, 2006

Bike like Ned

I'm inspired to climb.

Being a bit of a fan of cycling great Tyler Hamilton,--drug related drama & two-year suspension all aside--I read last week he had won the Mt. Washington Hillclimb in New Hampshire. It's a 7.6 mile all uphill race with an average 12% grade. And that's only the average. I think the steepness goes up to 22% in the last hundred yards. Lynne Tolman writes an engulfing description of the climb that makes me want to sign up.

As for the inspiration, it comes from another rider in the race results: 2nd place finisher Ned Overend, age 51. Excuse me, come again? Yes friggin frodo, he's fifty-one! He finished just two minutes behind Tyler. What a dude!

Reminds me of triathlete legend Dave Scott who did an amazing comeback at age 40 to finish 2nd in the 1994 Hawai Ironman Triathlon, and then 5th in '96 at age 42!

Can't wait to be 51 now. Greatness awaits! :-)

No comments: