Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Yay, I swam today!

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow."

I managed a solid 25 minutes of lap swimming at the Y while Miguel was doing his weekly lesson in the open lane next to mine. I focused on technique and efficiency, trying to maintain my streamline position by looking more downward than ahead. Currently, I'd say I'm an awful freestyler; I can't figure for the life of me what other inconsistencies cause me to take 21 strokes per length while I've seen countless others do close to 12. Perhaps my fat ass has something to do with it.

As for Miguel, he finally broke the floatie barrier four weeks ago and can finally swim on his own without flotations—about 8 feet to 1/4 pool length with me alongside him for visual support. Yeah boyeeee! Little steps sure go a long way. Nice going, Mig.

The last tidbit: It bothers me that I often fail to recognize people with whom I've had casual conversations. Like today as we were leaving the Y, one fellow had a table set up in the foyer to offer some free chiropractic advise/plug. And then he just goes to me and shakes hands, "Hey, long time no see, buddy! Still doing your morning laps? I've been 3 times in the pool this week." And I go, "Ummm, yeah. I'm still doing it. Ummm, how's it going?" And then my brain fires up its neurons for some recollection. Searching. Searching. But nooooo, the pink squishy thing responds: "Cannot compute. Target unidentifiable. Who the hell is he?! There is no goddamn sanctuary!!" Boooom!!!

Anyway, the funny of it was my end thought: People sure look different when suited up than when in the buff in the locker rooms. Best that I continue the conversation when we're all in our shirts and shoes to keep the recognizable factor intact. Ummm, that is, focus.

Have I said too much? :-)

No comments: