Sunday, September 18, 2005

Ethnic manners

I'm fascinated by the different social attitudes of cultures. Like in France, as I was told by my former French teacher, people there perceive a smaller 'elbow room' space. For example, my teacher told a story where she had a conversation with an American and her face was less than a foot away from his. A pretty normal distance for her and her copatriots, but not for him. Well, he had backed up a step and then she would move forward a step. Then he'd back up again and she'd move forward again...and so on until they had reached the other side of the room. She found this to be consistent with almost all Americans she spoke with, although she did eventually learn to stop waltzing across the floor and give the yanks their space.

Anyway, now I read this New York Times article about Hong Kong Disney and how the visitors from different cultures take varying attitudes when it comes to simply standing in line. Such a sample reminds me that language extends well beyond mere words.

I don't know where else I'm going with this. I'm just simply fascinated.

Time to watch Globe Trekker on PBS. Ian Wright is da bomb!

No comments: