Monday, September 12, 2005

Sunday bike ride

Success. I followed through on my decision from my previous post to do a bike ride Sunday morning. I logged in 42.78 miles for the just over 2 1/2 hr tour, which is my longest ride in recent years that I can remember. Toward the end, my quads started to cramp when I got off the saddle going up the hills, but I still felt strong. I drank some coffee prior to my ride as an experiment, as I've read that caffeine can boost performance. Indeed, I think it did.

I like the area where I bike. Even though I live in a pretty densely populated suburb close to Newark NJ, I'm amazed that I only need to peddle for about 40 minutes west to smell the sweet stench of horse sh*t. That's my indication that I'm approaching beautiful farm and park scenery along relatively quiet country roads.

I use Microsoft Street & Trips to plan my routes. And having looked at the overview map of Sunday's ride, I'm impressed that a bike can cover so much ground efficiently. I'll plan my next route in the same area, since I'm fond of the towns, but along the other backroads that I haven't taken.

No comments: