Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Snowboarding frustration

In honor of the 2006 Winter Olympic Games, my brother and I went snowboarding this past Sunday--only my 2nd trip of the season and of my life. We did the night run from 7pm to 10pm at Mountain Creek. I feel very fortunate to live an hour's drive away from these slopes--close enough to make a half day adventure doable.

Unfortunately, this half day turned out to be incredibly suckie. Y'see, I had been so stoked from my snowboarding lesson on my first trip that I thought I would have little trouble on the slopes this time around. However, I'd let too much time pass between then and now, and I'd forgotten many of the skills that I'd learned. Actually, my brain didn't forget; my muscles did. I felt like I hadn't taken any lesson at all and was starting from total newbie status.

I was scared as well. The snow was too firm and icy from the past weeks' warm days. I kept thinking of the inevitable pain of falling down and so couldn't enjoy my runs. We did the green trail from the very top of Vernon Peak and I did nothing but brake (and fall) the whole way down. I don't know what got into me. I guess it just wasn't my night.

Still, I'm not discouraged. It's one of those things like ice skating (which I'm also trying to learn; the family and I went to a rink last Thursday) and triathlon that I find so physically uncomfortable in the beginner stages, but still keep at it by being so focused on the rewarding pleasure I'll feel when I finally become proficient. And I truly cannot wait for that feeling when that day comes.

Oh well. For now, I'm back to square one in boarding skool.

No comments: