Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Junk meals for the little ones

I gave my kids Cheese Doodles and marshmallows for lunch today. Oh, and popcorn for breakfast.

The scenario goes like this: It's noon and I'm standing in the kitchen munching on the Doodles. I do this often with other foods as well. Stand and eat, I mean. Mindy, my middle one, comes in and says:

Mindy: Daddy, can I have some?
Daddy: Y'know Min, I don't want you eating these things for lunch.
Mindy: Please, can I have some?
Daddy: You should really eat something more healthy.
Mindy: Please?
Daddy: No.
Mindy: Please?
Daddy: Okay...but get a bowl first.

Act II: Tina and Miguel hear the crumpling of the Cheese Doodles bag, run in and ask for some, almost in unison. Daddy gives in. But first, asks for two more bowls. And they lived happily ever after.

I believe all that was verbatim. True story. Anyway, what else was I suppose to do, especially since they caught me red-handed? I didn't feel like being a hypocrite. Plus, I just wasn't in the mood to argue. I loathe arguing with my kids.

Now don't you go ahead and judge me. I know you probably have given in to some weaknesses as well. So hush up. Anyway, we did have a happy ending: we had pasta for dinner.

No comments: