Monday, April 11, 2005

My PDA & being in the blog zone

"When I'm in the zone, it's the only time nothing hurts me."
--Pete Armstrong (The Truth Machine by James L. Halparin)

I jotted down 11 thoughts on my PDA today for future blogging. Then I prayed in thanks to the god of portability, Jeff Hawkins, for my Tungsten E. Without it, my entry inspirations would be limited to the few minutes of vague recollection at the day's end. (Or else I guess I could just resort to the abhorrent pen and paper thingy. Oh how ungeeky of me!)

But certainly, there's much more that my Palm device enhances other than my memory. Therefore, here's a list of my current bad boy applications:

1. eReader Pro -- ebooks are da bomb! I mean with 3 kids on one arm, how the halibut am I suppose to turn the pages on a conventional paperback? :-). My favorite feature is the integrated dictionary: tap on a word and the definition appears. Nifty, huh. Try it, Mikey...you'll like it. Various eReader versions may be found here, freeware or for purchase. For free ebooks: www.gutenberg.org.

2. Kids' games -- MatchGame, Memo24, PalmSimon and SketchHand are my kids' favorites. Comes in handy when on line at the local Costco. Very child-learning productive. Freeware.

3. Adult games -- gotta give daddy something to wank on :-). Galax (ie, Galaxian), Hiarcs Chess (the best chess for Palm), Scrabble and Traffic Jam (my favorite) are killer. Shareware.

4. HandyShopper -- the best Shopping and To-Do List program! Here is where i jot down my thoughts. This is my #1 application and what I use to organize my life. This program is not to be underestimated. Freeware.

5. Music references -- When learning the guitar, I used ChordDB, FretBoard and Guitar Tuner, although not extensively enough to realize their merits. Freeware.

6. PocketTVBrowser -- your TV guide on your PDA. A very efficient program that I used instead of the TV online guide so my kids wouldn't give me flack for interrupting their viewing. Very good user forum and support. Freeware/shareware.

7. MessagEase -- Saved the best for last. Who needs Graffiti or even a keyboard when you have this? You just gotta see the video demo to believe its innovation. This is totally killer and how I enter text. I can't rave enough about it, especially to power PDA users who do a lot of note-taking. Freeware/shareware.

Now go on. Fire up your handheld and do the electron dance.

No comments: